A Brief History and Features
Rockford’s historic Sinnissippi Park was one of the Rockford Park District’s first parks, acquired shortly after the District was formed in 1909. An 80-acre tract was purchased for $47,500 to prevent the land from being subdivided by real estate speculators.
Formerly known as Rood’s Woods, the park was renamed Sinnissippi, meaning “clear flowing river.” When it opened in 1912, the park also contained Rockford’s first golf course. It now includes 123 acres and is one of the community’s most popular parks, with its playground, cookout shelters, nine-hole golf course, music and entertainment amphitheater, pickleball courts, and hiking trails. Special events such as Music in the Park, Holiday Festival of Lights, and the Illinois Snow Sculpting Competition draw thousands of visitors to the park each year.